Jalapeño and Caramelized Onion Mashed Potatoes
DirectionsAuthor note: These potatoes can be made up to three days in advance. To reheat, add additional half and half while heating on the stovetop, microwave or oven.
1. In a small saucepan warm the half and half, butter, garlic and jalapeño stems over low heat. Heat through for 15-20 minutes. Set aside.
2. Place the olive oil into a medium sized skillet. Add one layer of onions and season evenly with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Add another layer of onions and season evenly with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Cook on medium-low heat for 45 minutes. Stir occasionally.
3. Add the jalapeños and stir well. Cook for an additional 15 minutes. Set aside.
4. Meanwhile bring a large pan of water to boil and add the potatoes. Cook until tender. Strain the water.
5. Place the potatoes onto the stovetop. With a potato masher, mash the potatoes. Add 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and stir.
6. Strain the half and half and butter mixture into the mashed potatoes. Stir well and continue to mash out any chunks of boiled potatoes.
7. Add the jalapeño onion mixture and sour cream to the mashed potatoes. Stir well until all the ingredients are well incorporated. Salt to taste and serve warm.