Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
1. Remove tips from asparagus and chop into 2-inch long segments.
2. In a soup pot, add asparagus, onion, thyme, black pepper, and chicken broth. (Pour in just enough liquid to cover the vegetables). Cover pot and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until asparagus is soft.
3. Using a standing blender, puree soup (2-3 cups at a time) until smooth. Pour pureed soup into large bowl and set aside. Repeat process until soup pot is empty.
4. In the empty soup pot, whisk together olive oil and flour over medium heat. Stirring often, cook roux for 3-5 minutes, until bubbly and golden brown. Remove from heat and return pureed soup to pot.
5. Return to heat, stir in milk, and stir continuously until thickened. Do not bring to a boil! Portion into bowls and garnish with a sliced hard-boiled egg.
Fat: 14 g
Carbohydrates: 41 g
Sodium: 780 mg
Fiber: 6 g
Protein: 30 g
Cholesterol: 210 mg