Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Directions1. Heat olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven.
2. Season beef with salt and pepper, and add to pot. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes until browned. Remove beef with a slotted spoon and reserve.
3. Add the onion, celery, carrots, mushrooms and garlic to the pot and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5-10 minutes, until vegetables start to brown.
4. Add sherry to the vegetables and stir for about 1 minute, until some of the liquid is absorbed by the vegetables.
5. Return beef to the pot and add the broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, crushed red pepper, black pepper and barley. Raise the heat and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
6. Adjust seasonings as needed and serve hot.
Nutrition FactsCalories: 270
Fat: 6 g
Carbohydrates: 27 g
Sodium: 760 mg
Fiber: 6 g
Protein: 23 g
Cholesterol: 55 mg