Post and images by guest blogger, Rebecca White, of A Pleasant Little Kitchen.
When the weekend starts off with fluffy, slightly sweet bread and a warm cup of coffee it’s hard not to feel like the next 48 hours are sure to be a success.
The weekend feels better when waffles are involved. Sure, it does take a bit of work, but the pay-off is oh so delightful.
Now that winter is on its way out and spring is rolling in I’m craving a breakfast that reflects this new season. A breakfast that is cheery, tart and sweet.
With the beginning of spring comes the first batch of strawberries that Market Street always happily and proudly displays. Walking in to this land of goods, I’m always greeted by the pinks and reds of the beginning of strawberry season (cupcakes! breads! so many tasty options!).
It’s a very happy time to be shopping at Market Street when the strawberries start appearing and it happens to occur during one of my favorite times of the year: spring.
Naturally I wanted to combine these two delightful elements of weekend, waffles and strawberries. Most importantly I thought the waffles needed to mimic the sensation that is found in each bite of a perfectly ripe strawberry—tartness and sweetness.
Not only are these golden waffles cheery weekend greeters, but they are also vessels for freshness. I’ve skipped the obligatory whipped cream and maple syrup toppers. Instead, these beauties are topped with fresh strawberries and local Texas honey.
The honey, instead of syrup, provides an unexpected sweet flavor that balances out the tartness of the cooked strawberry. The ripe strawberries give the soft waffles a bit of texture. With all of these components combined, you’ve got yourself a charming breakfast.
These waffles are perfect to welcome in spring and the weekends. Start your 48 hours of rest with a delightful pop of spring—strawberries and Market Street.
Author note: This recipe is based off of 1 cup of pancake mix. Adjust the ingredients according to how much pancake mix is needed.
1 pound fresh strawberries
1 teaspoon dry marsala wine
2 teaspoons sugar
1. Finely, chopped 1 cup of strawberries. Place the strawberries into a bowl and cover with 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1 teaspoon of marsala wine. Set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Slice the remaining strawberries and place into a bowl. Toss with the remaining 1 teaspoon of sugar.
3. Meanwhile, warm a waffle iron.
4. Follow the instructions on the pancake mix selected. Add the 1 cup of finely cut strawberries into the mixture.
5. Stir well to incorporate the pancake batter and the strawberries.
6. Placed the batter into a waffle iron and cook until golden brown.
7. Remove the waffle from the waffle iron. Top with honey and sliced strawberries. Serve immediately.
Category: What's Cooking